Note: This recipe should be started the night before you plan on eating oats for breakfast. It's a great way to start your day with a healthy meal, with all of the prep-work done the night before!
From Around the House
Grocery and Pantry List
- Wash, core, and dice the apples (You can peel them if you want, but you lose most of the nutritional value if you do). I use one apple per adult serving, they cook down a lot.
- Place your heat-safe dish in the center of your crock pot (You can use a glass Pyrex dish, or a stoneware bowl. Anything that won't crack in a hot water bath).
- Add the Steel-Cut Oats to the heat-safe dish according to package directions (I make 2 servings, which feeds me, Clinton and Lucas)
- Add water to the oats (I use a little less than the directions because I like thicker oats)
- Add apples or other fruit (if desired)
- Add Cinnamon and Nutmeg to taste (I use about a tablespoon of Cinnamon and a half teaspoon of Nutmeg for 2 servings)
- Add Raw Honey (I use one tablespoon per serving of oats)
- Stir ingredients
- Add one inch of water to the Crock Pot (around the heat-safe dish)
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or over-night. No need to stir during cooking!
- In the morning, stir before serving. Add brown sugar or milk to taste